HARVARD LAW SCHOOL ASSOCIATION OF JAPAN
Adopted October 23, 2000
Amended March 13, 2014
Amended November 24, 2016
ARTICLE I – NAME
The name of this Association shall be the Harvard Law School Association of Japan.
ARTICLE II – PURPOSES
The purposes of this Association shall be to advance the cause of legal education, to promote the interests and increase the usefulness of the Harvard Law School, and to promote mutual acquaintance and good fellowship among all members of the Association and other members and alumni associations of Harvard University.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERS
All residents of Japan, who (i) are alumni of the Harvard Law School or non-alumni members of the Faculty of the Harvard Law School during the term of their appointment, or (ii) have been visiting professors, scholars or researchers of the Harvard Law School, or (iii) have been enrolled in an official program of the Harvard Law School, including but not limited to the International Tax Program, for three (3) months or more, shall be members of this Association.
ARTICLE IV – DUES
The annual dues of members shall be set by a resolution taken at a meeting, annual or extraordinary, of the members of the Association.
ARTICLE V – FISCAL YEAR
The fiscal year of the Association shall begin on the first of January and end on the thirty-first day of December.
ARTICLE VI – OFFICERS
- 1. The Officers of the Association shall be a President, two (2) Vice Presidents, one (1) or more Secretaries and one (1) or more Treasurers; provided that a person may concurrently serve as both a Secretary and a Treasurer.
- 2. The Officers shall be elected by the members at the annual meeting of the Association for a term of three (3) years, provided that they may be re-elected upon the expiration of their respective terms of office.
ARTICLE VII – DUTIES OF OFFICERS
- 1. The President shall preside at all meetings of the Association and shall represent the Association for all purposes. The President shall act according to this Constitution and shall perform such other duties as may be required by custom or by the welfare of the Association or by request from the Harvard Law School Association in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- 2. The Vice Presidents shall assist the President and shall assume all such duties of the President as may be delegated to them by the President. In the absence of the President, all meetings of the Association shall be presided by a Vice President who attends such meetings.
- 3. The Secretary and Treasurer shall keep records and accounts of the Association and shall discharge such other duties as belong to this office and as may be assigned by the President. The Secretary and Treasurer shall submit the annual accounts of the Association to the ordinary annual meeting of the members of the Association for their approval.
ARTICLE VIII – MEETINGS
- There shall be an ordinary annual meeting of the members of the Association at a time and a place set by the President.
- Extraordinary meetings of the members of the Association may be held at such times and places set by the President.
ARTICLE IX – AFFILIATION WITH THE HARVARD LAW SCHOOL ASSOCIATION
The Association shall request affiliation with the Harvard Law School Association in Cambridge, Massachusetts, affirming the desires to co-operate with the Harvard Law School Association in the furtherance of its general objectives and purposes.
ARTICLE X – AMENDMENTS
This Constitution may be amended by an affirmative vote by two-thirds or more of those present at a meeting, annual or extraordinary, of the members of the Association where notice of the proposed amendments has been given in the convocation notice of the meeting.